for almost authors
These free resources, info sheets, links and videos are designed to help you get the best out of this editing experience.
YOU MAY NOT HAVE WORKED WITH AN EDITOR BEFORE AND THAT'S OKAY.
I'm here to make the time we're working together as easy and stress-free for you as possible, so you can focus on putting your message out there with confidence.
Although I've covered as much as I can, don't allow these to replace good old fashioned communication. I'm only an email away if you have any further questions.
HIRING YOUR EDITOR
// QUESTIONS TO ASK //
Trusting someone with your voice is a tough decision. I know that. I've been there too. I've had encouraging editors who helped me learn how to do better. And I had ugly experiences where I felt like crap about myself and my writing.
Guess which kind of editor I choose to be?
It's my purpose in life to help people express themselves. One of the ways I do that is by explaining in my editing how you can write more effectively. I pride myself on a positive and friendly style.
It's important that you and your editor get along well enough to work closely together. Here are my 5 must-ask questions when hiring an editor.
You'll know who's right for you when you meet them, so I put together this list of questions for when you interview potential editors.
No matter who you choose, I hope it smooths the process of deciding.
THINKING OF WORKING WITH ME?
Then you'll probably want to know how I answer these questions too!
I've answered them all here over on my FAQs page.
If you don't see your question answered under the Frequently Asked Questions, drop me an email or ask me during our complimentary editing consultation.
// PORTFOLIO //
You may be wondering what kind of work I've handled before and whether I'm the right editor to handle your niche area.
I've worked with entrepreneurs and writers publishing non-fiction self-help books on:
- holistic health
- personal development
- yoga & Ayurveda
- body image
- small business
- systems & strategy
For specific examples, check out my portfolio of recent work.
// LIST OF EDITED WORKS //
I take confidentiality and copyright seriously, and am not able to share the content of the published works of my clients. I have permission to provide the samples in the next section, or take a 'look inside' any of these books for a flavour of my work.
- How To Not Waste Money On Training by Krystyna Gadd (2019) Lighthouse Publishing
- Plan It Now! by Tracy Durrant (2018) self-published
- Tiny Time, Big Results by Yasmin Vorajee (2018) self-published
- Your Business, Your Rules by Cat LeBlanc (2018) self-published
- Rainbow Of Sales by Courtney Johnston (2018) not available
- Soulpreneurs by Yvette Luciano (2018) Hay House
- Money Made Beautiful by Sylvia Chierchia (2016) self-published
- The Boss Hat by Barbara Nixon (2016) self-published
- Every Entrepreneur Needs Systems... For Relationships by Kelly Azevedo (2016) She's Got Systems
- Every Entrepreneur Needs Systems... For Mindset by Kelly Azevedo (2016) She's Got Systems
- Every Entrepreneur Needs Systems... For Marketing by Kelly Azevedo (2016) She's Got Systems
- Nine Core Elements Of The Brand Within You by Lisa England (2015) self-published
- Under 5 Small Business by Bob Weir (2015) self-published
- The Whole BS Truth About Entrepreneurship by Kylie Patchett (2014) self-published
- Leaping From The Ladder by Jess Nazarali (2014) self-published
- Going The Distance by Dawn Priestley (2019) self-published
- Your Inner GPS by Karen O'Donnell (2019) self-published
- Purpose of Addiction by Michele Mathis (2018) not available
- The Many Sides Of Happy by Mieka Forte (2018) self-published
- Financial Aromatherapy by Lora Sasiela (2018) self-published
- The Happy Home by Patricia Lohan (2018) Balboa Press
- Seven Signs Subconscious Beliefs Are Getting In The Way by Kelly O'Neill (2018) self-published
- You're Brave Enough by Amanda Brown (2017) self-published
- Divorce Your Destiny by Anna Pugacova (2017) self-published
- The Elephant In The Mirror by Annette Earl (2016) self-published
- The Unf*ckwithable Life by Amber Hawken (2016) JetLaunch
- Start Writing Your Book Today by Morgan MacDonald (2015) Paper Raven Books
- Finding Your Path To Fulfilment by Ryan Barba (2015) self-published
HEALTH & HOLISTIC HEALTH
- Thyroid Essentials by Dr. Melissa Esguerra (2019) self-published
- Built To Thrive by Dr. Shelly Sethi (2018) self-published
- Pain-Free and Strong by Dr. Tyna Moore (2018) self-published
- The Body After Birth Handbook by Dr. Amanda Fisher (2017) self-published
- Cancer Proof by Dr. Heather Paulson (2017) self-published
- Yoga For Diabetes by Rachel Zinman (2016) Monkfish
- Pelvic Pain: The Ultimate C*ck Block by Dr. Susie Gronski (2016) self-published
- Essential Oil Love by Kristyn Bango (2016) self-published
- Feeding Success by Emmanuelle Galland (2014) self-published
PREGNANCY & PARENTING
- Newborn Mothers by Julia Jones (2018) self-published
- The Baby Reflux Lady's Survival Guide by Aine Homer (2017) self-published
- Easy Now by Jocelyn Cates (2017) self-published
- GirlTribes by Helen Roe (2016) Balboa Press
- Adopting Solo by Sarah Fisher (2016) self-published
- Fertility Journey by Katy Henry (2015) self-published
- Staying At Home With The Kids by Nicola Semple (2015) self-published
- Busy Mum's Guide by Tina Kennedy (2015) self-published
- Sleepy Magic by Danielle Wright (2014) Black Inc Books
- Trust Your Melody by Lana Mayes (2014) self-published
MINDFULNESS & SPIRITUALITY
- The Gifts Of The Essential Oils by Vanessa Jean Boscarello Ovens and Adam Barralet (2019) self-published
- Awakening Of The Western Woman by Louise Harris (2018) self-published
- Spiritual Revolution by Karen Leverenz (2018) self-published
- The Mindful Bride by Claire Enston (2015) self-published
- High: A Party Girl's Guide To Peace by Tara Bliss (2014) self-published
BODY IMAGE & SELF-CARE
- The Skin Whisperer by Dr. Keira Barr (2018) self-published
- Good Girl's Guide To Owning Your Sexy by Laura Boyd (2016) self-published
- Wildly Irresistible by Tara O'Sullivan (2015) self-published
- Go Feed Yourself by Eleonora Calcada Bastos (2019) self-published
- Radiant Lifestyle by Chiinga Musonda (2019) self-published
- Confessions of a Yo-Yo Dieter by Katheryn Gronauer (2018) self-published
- The Clean Yogi by Alexa Nehter (2014) self-published
- Lose Weight and Still Eat Chocolate by Garance Clos (2014) self-published
- Real, Raw & Radiant by Monica Caligiuri (2014) self-published
- The Messy Healer by Mary-Grace Hogan (2019) self-published
- Murder, Mayhem, Miracles... And Still Married by Stella Upneck (2019) self-published
- Everything Is A Thing by Safiya Robinson (2019) self-published
- Soul Superstar by Annick Ina (2017) self-published
- The 30-Somethings by Elizabeth McKenzie (2016) self-published
- Elbow In by Abigail Hall (2016) not available
TRAVEL & LANGUAGE
- German Without Tears by Karin Raffa (2017) self-published
- Myanmar 1st Hand Travel Guide by Lisa O'Donnell (2016) Myanmar 1st Hand
- Never Trust A Feminist by Jada Makana (2019) self-published
- Surfer Girls Kick Ass by Tiffany Manchester (2017) BookBaby
// SAMPLES //
Here is an example of a light-to-medium edited manuscript. This client had already worked with a structural editor to make sure the chapters and sections were in a logical order and the pieces flowed well. Predominantly, I'm looking out for clarity, style, word use, word order, gaps, repetition and personality, aiming to have the most impact on the reader possible.
The process is split into two stages: copyediting and proofreading. The copyedit comes first and looks out for style, voice and language. Most editorial decisions are made at this stage.
The client has an opportunity to review the changes, make any rewrites and answer any questions. The proofreading stage comes next and concentrates on accuracy and consistency only. These changes are more precise and objective.
(Please note, as a client, you would not see this tracking on the finalised copy. The final edited and proofread document is delivered 'clean'. This mark-up is for illustration purposes only.)
SUBMITTING YOUR DRAFT
// HOW'S THE WRITING GOING? //
Phew! You deserve a big hand for getting this far.
But whether you're nearly done with your draft, or sprinting towards your deadline, it's worth checking out my top 10 writing tips.
These are the issues I deal with most frequently as an editor. And looking over them can boost your writing inspiration and help you submit a better manuscript first time.
// PREP FOR EDITING //
There's a few final checks you must make before handing over your project. They're simple. You've probably done them already. It's worth double-checking everything is in the right format so that there's no delay on the turnaround.
Do those last final checks now, by having a look at the checklist below.
When you work with me, I also need detailed information about your reader in order to make the best most-informed editorial decisions.
Audience-appropriateness is a huge part of editing and I can only make the call on whether something 'works' if I know who is the recipient of your message.
Take some time to tell me about your readership and let me know the answers to the questions in the Ideal Reader Profile resource.
REVIEWING YOUR WORK
// WHEN YOU GET YOUR EDITS //
You handed it over. You sat back and relaxed (or not). And then it's the moment we've all been waiting for. Drumroll please...
Your edits are back.
This part can be the most challenging of all. I want you to feel supported here because feedback can be tricky to navigate, but with the right attitude and a little bit of know-how, this review part can be painless. Promise!
No matter how tempting it is to look at your edits straight away, read this guide first.
GETTING ATTENTION ONCE YOU'RE PUBLISHED!
// SHARING WITH MY AUDIENCE //
Congratulations! You made it!
I'm thrilled to have worked with you and help you put your words into the world. I always love offering my clients the opportunity to get their work in front of more people and sharing their experience with my audience.
Here are some options for you:
- Write a testimonial, including your headshot and website
- Get featured in my portfolio
- Share the link to your book so I can support you on social media