In conversation on one of my networking groups, a freelance writer commented that he had 5 keys to freelance success. One of those was celebrating often.
It got me wondering. How often is ‘often’? Do I look back regularly on what I’ve achieved?
I’m an ideas person, always starting new things and looking forward. If I look back, it’s not normally in a positive way. It’s to scrutinise something I did wrong or a life event that didn’t turn out too well (read disastrously).
Feedback from jobs gone by is a particular sticking point for me. You can’t un-typo a typo, if you’ve already sent it out. Looking back can serve only to make people feel small and compound negative energy around performance.
Looking back positively…
I was prompted, however, to look back over the last six months.
Not in a feedback/scrutiny/improvement/monitoring kind of way though.
More in a celebratory kind of way. If you’re just starting out, the hurdles come thick and fast, so take some time to look back and see how far you’ve come. Ask yourself…
What can I celebrate from the last 6 months?
I guarantee that this powerful exercise will lift you and give you the motivation to persevere just a little longer, and a little longer, and a little longer. It doesn’t even have to be professional goals only. I dived into my personal email as well as my business inbox to remind me of all I had planned, done, organised, and went flicking through journals and planners.
Here are some of my highlights from March to September. And many of them are ‘firsts’!
- Went to an Austrian wedding and saw my best school friend get married
- Stayed in an Alpine spa hotel
- Designed a website from scratch (clue: you’re on it!)
- Learnt about blogs, newsletters, plug-ins, hosting, code, analytics and all things tech
- Done a professional photo shoot
- Published my first ebook Freelance Your Heart Out
- Won more competitions in six months than I have in my whole life!
- Hired an accountant
- Created an online ecourse for freelancers
- Been invited to speak internationally
- Seen baby seal pups in the wild
- Hosted a live webinar
- Had coaching for health, life and business
- Tried a green smoothie
- Been introduced to new healthy foods like almond milk, quinoa, cavalo nero, kale, dandelion coffee…
- Understood my energy levels
- Gone pro with my graphic design
- Spent one month ‘dry’
- Completed an online marketing business school for entrepreneurs
- Hiked up a mountain (ish) on Banks Peninsula
- Run a promotion in partnership with another entrepreneur
- Visited a $4 million house that was up for auction
- Coached aspiring or current freelancers to a more fulfilling freelance life
- Been given testimonials for my work
- Given a gift worth >$1000
- Written a sales page
- Paddled in the Pacific
- Joined an inspiring mastermind
In fact, it was my wonderful mastermind friends who suggested I do this exercise (thanks Liz!) She’s given me several tools for positive living and living authentically with a message true to myself.
I’m so glad I looked back. What crazy times! And there’s still three months left in the year.
So go on…
Leave a Reply